Sometimes I just get in the mood to bake! It hit me the other day. I was craving something yummy, warm and crumbly! I looked around my kitchen and found a few bananas that needed to be used and a handful of blueberries that were in the freezer. I decided to make this Blueberry Banana Coffee Cake.
My whole family loved it! It works wonderful breakfast or brunch but I actually made it for dinner. We were having breakfast for dinner, a family favorite! It was one of those crazy nights were I basically gave my husband a kiss in passing as he was coming home and I was leaving. He actually sent me a text message to let me know that he loved the Blueberry Banana Coffee Cake. He’s never done that before so it must have been good!
This Blueberry Banana Coffee Cake is just simply fabulous any time for the day! Enjoy!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour (set aside ¼ cup of this to toss with the blueberries)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup milk or buttermilk
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ flour
- ¼ cup nuts, pecans or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter with lemon and the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, banana and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour ( this will keep them from sinking to the bottom) then mix in the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- Alternate adding the flour and milk. Fold in the blueberries.
- Prepare the topping. Place the butter, sugar and flour in a bowl and use 2 butter knifes to cut the butter until it's in small pieces. Add nuts and mix all together.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with topping. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes.Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.