Sure we can buy relish at the grocery store anytime and we can usually get it free or really cheap with coupons! But who wouldn’t love to have fresh, homemade relish on hand whenever they need?!? I know I do! Grandmas Best Sweet Pickle Relish is so easy to make and is full of healthy veggies! Summer is the perfect time to give this recipe a try since these veggies are in season and that way you can make plenty to stock up for the fall and winter months!
Replace store-bought relish with this delicious recipe and use it to top hot dogs, brats and burgers or mix it in with your tuna salad or potato salad to add a sweet, flavorful crunch! And what a fabulous gift this would make! Add a pretty ribbon and tag and voila, you have a beautiful, delicious, homemade gift that anyone would love!
And just because canning is involved does not mean you should let this recipe intimidate you. It takes some time but it’s easier than you think. I promise! If you’d rather do a water bath, you’ll just add your relish-packed jars into a large pot of boiling water (using jar lifters), making sure there’s about 1 inch of water covering the jars, then cover with a lid. Allow to boil for about 10 minutes then lift the jars out and set on a towel to cool. You will know when the lids are sealed because they will curve slightly in the center. And that’s all there is to it! So you can use the canning method listed on the printable recipe or you can just follow the above instructions for a water bath.
I hope you will give this great recipe a try! Who knows, you may find that you like canning!
- 1 quart chopped cucumbers
- 2 c. chopped onion
- 1 c. chopped green pepper
- 1 c. chopped red pepper
- ¼ c. salt
- 3½ c. sugar
- 1 tblsp. celery seed
- 1 tblsp. mustard seed
- 2 c. apple cider vinegar
- 4 pint glass ball canning jars (or 8 half pint glass jars)
- Combine cucumbers, onion, and peppers in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and cover with cold water. Let stand for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 225. Place the glass jars on a baking sheet and bake for at least 20 minutes to sterilize.
- Fill a small sauce pan with water and add jar lids and rings. Cook over low to medium heat until the water is 180 degrees.
- Drain, rinse and drain the cucumber mix again making sure to get out as much water as possible.
- Combine sugar, celery seed, mustard seed and vinegar in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add cucumber mix and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pack hot relish into the hot canning jars and leave ¼ in. at the top. Remove air bubbles and secure the lids on the tops of the jars.