This Lemon Poke Cake looks far more involved than it really is, and the delightful reactions to it’s luscious sweetness are priceless. Serve it for any special occasion, or when you want a spectacular sweet treat as the finale to your meal.
It’s getting warmer everyday, and all the fresh fruit that I love is in season again so it’s only natural that fruits like lemons, limes and oranges are indispensable ingredients in many of our favorite warmer weather sweet and savory foods.
First follow the directions below to put your cake in a 9×13″ pan. After allowing to cool for a few minutes, use the handle of a skinny handled wooden spoon and poke holes in somewhat straight lines. The more evenly spaced the holes, the more evenly the pudding will distribute through the cake.
This is a simply blissful icing. It’s sweet, but not too heavy. I love using the star tips and piping on the adorable dollops. They really dress it up! If you’ve never used one they’re super easy. A few practice tries, and you’ll be a pro. Of course, you can easily smooth it on with a spatula without changing the flavor very much too 🙂 Just kidding!
Want to keep this recipe in your favorites? Feel free to pin it on Pinterest! JOIN OUR RECIPE GROUP!
- 1 box of Lemon cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ C oil
- 1 C water
- 1 box of instant pudding mix
- 2 C of skim milk (Or the milk of your preference)
- 2 tbsp Lemon zest
- pam spray
- 9x13 Cake pan
- Medium mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Rubber Spatula
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare your cake mix as directed on the box
- Spray your cake pan with the pam spray and pour the lemon cake mix in
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Once the cake is done, pull it out and let it cool for 5 minutes
- Using the medium bowl, combine the pudding mix, lemon zest and milk
- Mix for 2 minutes until pudding is thick
- Using the wooden spoon, poke holes into the cake going horizontal and vertical
- Pour the pudding over the cake and use the spatula to smooth the pudding over the cake
- Make sure you get pudding into every hole in the cake
- Place cake into the fridge for 4 hour or overnight
- 1 C softened sweet cream butter
- 2½ C powder sugar
- ½ fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tbsp lemon zest
- 2-4 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 large star tip and a piping bag
- Lemon slices and mint for garnish
- Using a standing mixer, combine all ingredients and mix on low to medium speed
- If the frosting looks like powdery pebbles add in 1-2 more tbsp of heavy whipping cream
- Scrap the sides using a rubber spatula
- Continue to mix until the frosting is smooth, creamy and has stiff peaks
- Scoop the frosting into the piping bag and pipe stars on the cake, covering every inch
- Top with lemon slices and mint