I have to say that I am in love with this fun, new recipe! My brain is already filling with all the great ways I’ll be able to use it this summer. Birthday parties, backyard BBQ’s, family get-togethers, or just when you want a yummy dessert but want it quick! There really isn’t any occasion that these Mason Jar Lid Pies wouldn’t work for! The easiest way to make this is to use refrigerated pie crusts and canned pie filing but homemade pie crusts and pie filling would definitely work, too. I chose to use cherry and blueberry for the pies I made today (and they were delicious!) but any pie filling would work. How great is it that each person can have their own personal pie with the filling of their choice? I love that! I think my next Mason Jar Pies will include apple. Yum! If you need to make a lot of mini pies you’ll want to get 2 or 3 boxes of the refrigerated pie crust. You can get 8-10 Mason Jar Lid Pies from the 2 crusts that come in the box.
Preheat your oven to 375 and flip the inside lid so that the rubber ring is facing down. Spray lightly with baking spray. After you’ve gotten all of your ingredients together just roll out your dough and use your mason jar lids as a guide for cutting out your crust.
Gently place the large crust circles inside of the prepared lids. Fill each crust with the pie filling of your choice but be sure not to over-fill it or you’ll have bursting pie crusts. 2 or 3 Tablespoons of filling should be the perfect amount. I filled mine a bit too full this time so I’ll do a little less next time.
Once your crusts are filled brush water around the edges of your pie crust then place the smaller circle crust on top. Make sure each crust has a few air vent slices then use a fork to seal the edges together.
Brush with an egg wash then sprinkle granulated sugar or turbinado sugar on top. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes in your pre-heated oven until the crust is golden brown. Allow the pie to cool a bit before removing from the mason jar lid. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream or enjoy just as it is!
- Refrigerated pie crust
- Canned pie filling
- Baking Spray
- Sugar or turbinado sugar
- 1 egg
- Mason jar lids
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Flip the inside of the mason jar lid upside down so that the rubber ring is facing downward. Spray lightly with baking spray. Set aside on a baking sheet.
- Roll out your pie crust and use your lids to cut out your pie crust top and bottom. Make sure you have plenty of space around the outer lid for your bottom crust so that you'll have enough left to seal the top and bottom together.
- Place the larger circles in the bottom of the mason jar lids then fill will the pie filling of your choice. Use about 2-3 tablespoons per pie. If you over-fill, it will burst.
- Brush water around the edges of the pie crust then place the top crust on top. Make sure each crust has a few slits in it. Seal together with a fork.
- Brush the tops with an egg wash then sprinkle granulated sugar or turbinado sugar on top.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown.
So add this yummy recipe to your list of things-to-make and then let me know what you think!