Everyone I know loves pizza, and here’s a perfect recipe to bring to your next potluck or just make any time at home! It’s really easy to throw together and is sure to please. This pizza casserole has all the flavors of a fresh pizzeria pizza piled high and baked to perfection. Its ricotta cheese is reminiscent of lasagna but this is so much easier to make! If you want you can prepare it ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator overnight and whenever you’re ready, bring it to room temperature and bake.
If you have picky eaters in your family, you can easily adjust the ingredients to your liking. I love recipes that can be switched up based on who will be eating and what I have in my pantry. 😉 If you like spicy, add some red pepper flakes to your sauce or use spicy sausage. If you like mushrooms, they would be great in this dish as well. You could even get crazy and throw some pepperonis on top of the cheese. Get as creative as you want, but it’s delicious made exactly as written too.
Start by cooking your pasta. Meanwhile preheat oven to 350°F, then saute the sausage, onion and bell pepper in a skillet until the sausage is no longer pink. When the pasta is done, drain and place in 13×9 dish and mix in the sauce, tomatoes and sausage mixture. Top with ricotta and mozzarella cheese and cover tightly with foil to prevent over browning. Bake for 45 min to an hour (until bubbly) and remove foil and top with parmesan. Broil on high for 10 minutes to make it nice and golden.
Let the casserole sit for about 10 minutes before digging in so it holds up. Enjoy!
- 1lb mild Italian pork sausage
- 1 can (15 oz) pizza sauce
- 1can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with sweet onion, undrained
- 4 cups uncooked rotini pasta (10 oz)
- ½ bell pepper chopped
- 1 can (2¼ oz) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella or pizza cheese blend (6 oz)
- 1 8 oz ricotta cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- Cook rotini pasta al-dente. Drain and put aside.
- In 10-inch skillet, cook sausage and bell pepper over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink; drain.
- In ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish, mix rotini pasta, pizza sauce and tomatoes. Stir in cooked sausage and olives. Cover with mixture of ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese. Cover tightly with foil, bake in pre - heated oven ( 350°F) for 45 mins to 1 hour or until bubbly. Uncover and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and broil it high for 10 mins or until the surface is browned.