This post sponsored by Al Fresco, but all thoughts and opinions are my own.
This Sweet Apple, Cheddar, and Chicken Sausage Casserole makes my mouth water! If you love the combination of sweet and savory as much as I and my kids do, then this is a must try recipe!
Summer is ending. (Insert long sigh here…) I’m not quite ready to say goodbye to the warm sun, but I am definitely looking forward to digging out my boots and chunky sweaters! There is also nothing that says Fall is here like seeing the different varieties of crisp sweet apples in the store! As a mom, this is my busy season. It’s back to school, and our weeknights are packed full of homework and attempting to keep my house in some semblance of order!
I’m also still making a major effort to incorporate healthy food choices into my everyday meals. It’s a process, but I am determined not to give up. I have found that Al Fresco products are a busy mom’s (and Dad’s) best friend. The robust flavor of Al Fresco Sweet Apple Chicken Sausages make this a hearty casserole worthy of dinner any night. The best part is that you can make it ahead of time. Simply cover with foil and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Allow about 30 minutes to sit out to allow your casserole to come to room temperature and you’re ready to bake. Being able to do your prep work during your free time makes this the perfect weeknight entree!
This dish is so simple! You can make this with regular cooked chicken, but the fully cooked chicken sausages from Al Fresco cut down my prep time by at least 15 minutes. Plus they are packed with so much flavor that I love them all on their own! So- I say, Swap Out The Chicken! Now I’m wondering what other recipes I can do a chicken swap in too! Do you have a staple recipe that requires chicken? Try using Al Fresco fully-cooked chicken sausage!
To make this Sweet Apple, Cheddar, and Sausage Casserole start by peeling and dicing your apple. Sprinkle on the sugar and add cinnamon, set aside. Next, whisk together your milk, eggs, and salt in a large bowl. Pick a good sized bowl as this is where you’re going to combine all your ingredients so you’ll want the room. Then, slice your Sweet Apple Chicken Sausages and tear up about 1/2 a loaf of Italian bread. Combine all your ingredients saving 1/4 cup cheese, fold gently until everything is coated with your egg and milk mixture. Pour into your greased baking dish, use your spatula to even it out a bit, top with remaining cheese, and bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown on top. That’s it! You’re free to help with homework, catch up on laundry, and most importantly spend time with your loved ones! I hope you enjoy this as much as I do! You should also try my Loaded Baked Potato Casserole.
Want to keep this recipe in your favorites? Feel free to pin it on Pinterest! JOIN OUR RECIPE GROUP!
- 1 large Jazz, Pink lady, or Braeburn Apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1 TBSP granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 5 large eggs
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ½ loaf cubed stale Italian bread (about 6 cups or 6 oz in weight)
- 12 oz. Al Fresco Fully-cooked Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage, cut in half and then sliced
- 1¼ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat 9 x 13 or 3 qt baking dish with olive oil or baking spray and set aside.
- In small bowl, combine the chopped apples, sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and salt.
- Add bread cubes, reserved apple mixture, chicken sausage, and 1 cup of cheddar cheese to the egg mixture and fold until ingredients are coated with egg mixture
- Pour into prepared baking dish making sure to even it out in your dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until browned AND SET. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.