This Easy Cowboy Caviar recipe comes from my mother in law Lynda. She invited us over for a pool party for Ryan’s birthday ( he just turned 15) and we grilled hot dogs, hot links and pork chops.
She made baked beans , 7 layer dip and this Easy Cowboy Caviar as a side dish. It’s kind of like my husband’s black bean salsa recipe except it has red bell peppers and black eyed peas.
I love this recipe because it’s light and it’s easy to make. It can be used as appetizer, topped on a salad or as a side dish. It’s also one of those recipes you can edit and add your own ingredients if you don’t like what I have chosen.
- 1 can of blackeyed peas
- 1 can of Corn
- 1 medium-large purple onion
- 1 medium-large tomato
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 bundle of Cilantro
- 1 lime
- Take your blackeyed peas and dump them in the colander
- Now take your corn and pour it (juice and all) over the black beans. DON'T try to shake all the juices off. Just let gravity work
- Put the corn and bean mix in a medium bowl. Should be a little juice.
- Next thing to do is dice up the onion and add it to the bowl
- Now dice up your tomato over the bowl so any juice will drip into the bowl
- Finely dice your jalapeño and bell pepper and add it to the mixture
- Take your cilantro bundle and cut off the stems close to the leaves. Take this and finely chop the cilantro. Add this the bowl
- Now mix everything up
- Last thing you want to do is add the juice from a lime.
- Serve with corn chips and enjoy!
Let flavors mix approximately 20-30 minutes before serving. Serve room temperature or chilled. Refrigerate leftovers.