Now is the time to start thinking about getting your freezer ready for Fall and Winter. Freezer maintenance is very vital to making sure you are not wasting energy and draining your wallet. We are going to start a series on getting your freezer ready for Fall and Winter and we will start with Freezer Maintenance Tips and then follow with foods you should start freezing now.
Check out these tips to make sure your freezer is ready:
- Clean out all expired items
- Donate items that you think your family won't use before it goes bad
- If you have a Chest Freezer make sure the frost on the sides don't accumulate more than 1/2 inch. If does its time to clean it out.
- To remove odors add a box of Baking Soda to your freezer. It will only cost you .50 to $1.00 and can make a big difference in the taste of your food.
- Save money by making sure the temperature of your freezer isn't set to low as it will waste energy. An upright should be set at 5 degrees F and a chest should be set at 0 degrees F
- This is a good time to check the seals to make sure no cool air is leaking out and your freezer isn't working over time.
- Clean the Coils. Make sure there isn't any excess dust that could shorten the life of the appliance.