I’ve been on a homemade/DIY kick lately and for some reason I have this fascination with Mason Jars. My Father-in-law loves to cook and I thought I would make him this Homemade Citrus Salt for Father’s Day. This was such an easy gift to make and I can tell that I could literally leave the lid off and sit here and smell the jar all day. The aroma is amazing.
You can use citrus salt on fish, chicken, stirfry, shrimp and more! We bought all of our ingredients at Walmart including the Ball Mason jars. So you should be able to get all the items reasonably priced.
- 1 1/2 cups of Kosher Salt
- Zest of 2 limes
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- Olive Oil
- Take a vegetable peeler and peel the skin of the orange, lemon and limes separately. Then take a knife and slice them up into thin strips
- Add a tiny bit of olive oil to a small pan and heat each set of citrus strips separately for a few seconds , careful not to burn them.
- Blot with a paper towel and let them completely dry then dice into small pieces.
- Add Kosher salt to your mason jar then add each of the diced up citrus fruit one at a time , putting the lid on the jar and shaking in between.
- That's it!