This Easy Taco Bake recipe is a fun way to switch up taco night. See the recipe below.
Easy Weeknight Taco Bake
I love this recipe because it’s one of those that it’s easy to add or take away ingredients according to your taste or for whom you are making it for. This is also one of those great make ahead meals to bring to a family who just had a baby, or someone who has had recent surgery or hospital stay.
How to Make:
My basic recipe calls for ground beef, onion, bell pepper, taco seasoning (I make my own), beans, cheese, tortilla chips, and a few yummy toppings. I like ours topped with lettuce, sour cream, avocadoes and salsa– those all go on top after the Taco Bake is done cooking.
If you have picky eaters or are making this for a family with younger kids, I would honestly just have these toppings out in a serving tray or bowl. Let everyone top their own serving! 🙂
This Taco Bake is also one those recipes I can incorporate fresh veggies from my garden that I am growing. In Oklahoma we can easily grow peppers, so I’m always looking for good ways to use them in meals! You can also opt to make this Taco Bake meatless by just adding an extra can of vegetarian beans instead of the ground beef.
For a healthier option, be sure to use salt free canned beans. You can reduce the amounts of cheese and skip the sour cream (or use fat free). Aldi has a lower sodium tortilla chip variety, and you can rinse the ground beef and drain to lower fat and sodium content. Be sure to buy a good quality, lean ground beef if it’s in the budget!
Ready to put this Taco Bake on the Weeknight Menu? Print Your Recipe Here!
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped bell pepper
- ⅓ cup taco seasoning
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 16 ounce can refried beans
- 1½ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, avocados and salsa.
- In a large skillet cook ground beef, onion and green pepper until meat is done. Drain grease. Add taco seasoning and water. Cook about 3 minutes until it thickens. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place chips in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Drop spoonful’s of beans over the chips and carefully spread beans over chips. (This is messy)
- Spoon ground beef mixture over beans and top with cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with lettuce, tomatoes, olives, sour cream and salsa.
- Enjoy!!! ☺
I love one pot dinners. Your whole meal in one yummy dish! This Loaded Baked Potato Casserole with Sausage is delicious! Baked Potato and Sausage casserole is one of our most popular recipes.