This recipe takes some time but it’s so yummy and there are so many different things you can do with it. These flaky pies filled with cheesy vegetables would be perfect served with a warm bowl of soup!
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 3 leeks thinly sliced, 1 cup
- 2 cups chopped peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded fontinella or fintina cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shipped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp. snipped fresh oregano
- 2 tsp. snipped fresh marjoram
- 2 tsp. snipped fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- Place the carrots, leeks and potatoes in a steamer basket just above, but not touching, boiling water. Cover the pan and steam the vegetables for 10-12 minutes or just until the vegetables are tender; drain. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl. Add the cheeses, parsley, oregano, marjoram, thyme, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter, olive oil and garlic.
- Cut the phyllo dough sheets into 13 1/2 - 14 inch squares. Stack 6 sheets of phyllo, brushing each sheet with the butter mix and sprinkling every other sheet lightly with the bread crumbs.
- Cut each stack into 4 squares. Place 1/8 (about 3/4 cup) of the vegetable mixture in the center of each square. Fold the sides of the dough toward the center to form a pouch. Pinch well to seal. Place the packets in a shallow baking pan. Brush the outsides with additional butter mixture. Repeat with the remaining phyllo sheets, butter mixture and vegetable mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the pouches are lightly browned. Serve immediately.