It seems like I always have bananas that are past their prime. At the grocery store the kids want them, but then at home they turn their noses up at them! There's always banana bread, but sometimes I feel like doing something else with mushy bananas. This chocolate banana cake is a crowd pleaser! And the frosting is light and easy to make! The perfect combination!
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium sized bananas)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 package whip cream
- 4 oz cream cheese (softened)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, mashed bananas, water, milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir, or whisk, until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. When completely cooled, frost with the whipped cream cheese frosting.
- To make frosting whip together with an electric mixer the whipped cream and cream cheese for about 30 seconds. The mixture will start to thicken slightly. Perfect for a light frosting!