Try these Easy Mummy Brownies for a fun treat the kids can help with!
Easy and Fun Mummy Brownies
I love the official start of fall. Of course if you have kiddos at home, this means the holidays are just around the corner!
We don’t do too much in the way of decorating for Halloween, but we do make a few treats and it’s more fun when the kids actually get to help in the kitchen.
See this easy and fun recipe below!
All you need in the pantry for this one is a box of brownie mix and some Pillsbury Cream Cheese Frosting!
I prefer Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker mixes since they set up well and I can’t have brownies without that little thin layer of crust on top! Yum!
Prepare your brownies as the package directs, complete with the usual ingredients.
Let cool completely before decorating! This is important, to get a nice and realistic looking “mummy”.
If you have trouble cutting brownies, and getting nice clean squares, there are a few hacks you can do to help solve this problem!
- Let cool on the counter until no longer hot to the touch. Then refrigerate for 30 minutes or until chilled.
- Use a very sharp knife to cut brownies. Avoid using the butter knife or cake knives.
- Line your brownie pan with 2 layers of parchment, extending the sides up and over the sides of the pan. This lets you “lift” out the cooled brownie out, so you’re not battling the insides of the pan. Then place the brownie on the flat counter to cut into squares.
Make your Mummy Brownies!
After your brownies are cooled is the fun part! Warm up the icing until it is a thin consistency.
Be sure to watch out not to let the icing overheat.
Take a knife or piping bag and spread icing back and forth across the brownie. Leave gaps in the icing to give it a mummy-wrapped appearance.
If the kids aren’t sure how to ice the brownies, they can for sure add the googly eyes!
Be sure your packaging says edible! 😉
- 1Duncan Hines Boxed Brownie Mix 9x13 size
- 1 Pillsbury Cream Cheese Icing Container
- Black Sparkle Cookie Icing
- Edible Googly Eyes
- Prepare Brownie Mix as directed, cook and let cool thoroughly
- Soften Cream Cheese icing in microwave in 15 second increments, checking after each 15 seconds. Icing should be slightly soft, so it can be drizzled over brownies.
- Put icing in a piping bag and ice back and forth over brownies as shown. Alternately, drizzle over brownies with a fork if icing is very soft.
- Add edible googly eyes and let dry in cool place.
- Optional: add other colors over white Cream Cheese Icing. Black Sparkle Cookie icing is shown.
Let dry and enjoy!
Finally, you can get creative adding black sparkle cookie icing, or even other colors. This is where the kids can really have fun with this baking project.
Let us know how you liked these and if share your decorated Halloween brownies! Enjoy!