It's always a struggle to find healthy snacks that are more satisfying than a piece of celery or a carrot 😆 . These No Bake Energy Bites are super easy to throw together and they're actually really good. The only thing unhealthy in them is the chocolate chips and there's only 2 tablespoons in the whole batch. If you don't want to use chocolate chips you can use raisins or other dried fruit. I've made them with dried cranberries and that was really good.
I've made them with regular and mini chocolate chips and prefer the mini because you have more in each bite. If you don't have rolled oats you can use quick oats, but personally I think the rolled oats give them a better texture. I've also made them with sweetened coconut flakes and they taste about the same, so it's better to use unsweetened if you can.
If your honey or peanut butter have been opened a while, gotten thick, or if they're thick just because it's cool where you store them, you may have trouble stirring everything together. To avoid this problem, just warm the honey and peanut butter in a saucepan till they're smooth and runny, then remove from heat and stir in everything else. The chocolate chips will melt a bit if you stir them in while the rest is warm, but I promise they still taste great. Last time I made these it was warm in my kitchen and I had a brand new bottle of honey, so I had no trouble stirring everything together in a bowl without warming anything up, but there have been times when I used the saucepan. If you have the opposite problem and the mixture is too sticky to handle, add a little extra coconut or oats.
If you look up the health benefits of things like chia seeds, wheat germ and flaxseed, you will definitely want more in your diet! You can get them online or from a health food store or many grocery stores. Big Lots often has them too.
These technically don't have to be refrigerated but they stay fresh longer and keep their form better if they are. If you want to put some in a baggie and take with you, you don't need to worry about them being out of the fridge a few hours.
No Bake Energy Bites:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- If your honey or peanut butter are thick, melt them in a sauce pan on low heat and then stir in the remaining ingredients. If your honey and peanut butter are a good mixing consistency you can skip this step.
- Mix all ingredients together thoroughly.
- Using a cookie scoop or small spoon, scoop the mixture into little rounds (about 1-2 Tbsp each) and roll into balls. If you have trouble with it sticking to your hands, spray a little non stick spray on your hands first.
- Place on cookie sheet and freeze until firm.
- Remove from freezer and keep in air tight container in the refrigerator.