How to Ripen Strawberries – It’s REALLY Easy!
Do you hate buy strawberries only to find that a lot of them are not ripe? Keep reading to find out How to Ripen Strawberries!
How to Ripen Strawberries – The Easy Way
I love strawberries! What I don't like is finding them unripe at the store. For the longest time I thought there was no way to get them to ripen after bringing them home as I noticed they got moldy real quick in the containers if not eaten. I recently found an easy peasy way to get them to turn red and wanted to pass it on to you guys.
Quick & Easy Steps to Juicy Red Strawberries:
- The first thing to do is get them out of those containers and spread them out on a dish or cookie sheet depending on how many you have to ripen. Don't wash them or cut off the tops.
- Place them so they aren't touching and then place them in a place they won't be disturbed. I just keep them on the kitchen counter.
- Be patient, it takes a couple of days for them to ripen.
- Keep an eye on them – they can go from ripe to brown or moldy quick!
- Once they're ripe you can freeze them or wash and enjoy!
- You can also cut them up, sprinkle some sugar on them and store them in a bowl. I only do this if I am going to use them in a recipe right away where sugar is needed or making a simple syrup.
I bought 5 packs at Aldi today for 99¢ – a great price! After my berries are ripe, I'll wash them, cut off the tops and then freeze them. That way I'll have strawberries whenever I want them 🙂
Recipes to Use Your Strawberries In:
- Strawberry Crumble Bars with Bananas
- Instant Pot Strawberry Jelly
- Strawberry lemon Bundt Cake
- Homemade Strawberry Sauce
- Strawberry Bread
- 3 Ingredient Yogurt cake
Can you ripen previously frozen?
Hi Harold, when strawberries thaw after being frozen they are very soft and a little mushy – they won’t ripen any further. Hope this helps.
Oooo, thank you for this!
You’re quite welcome! Let us know how it turns out if you try it 🙂
strawberries do not ripen after being picked. i am totally confused now. all they do after getting picked is they start to decompose i thought?
Hi Debra, I personally have used this method many times and it works. I will say it probably wouldn’t work on very unripe strawberries that have a lot of green – it would take too long. Just keep an eye on them and soon as they ripen, use them that day or freeze them. Hope this helps