Why Marigolds are Important for Your Vegetable Garden – 5 Tips!
Benefits of Marigolds in Your Garden:
When starting our vegetable garden, we were excited to get a few tips for the best possible results. I was surprised to learn Marigolds are great for companion planting along with tomatoes! Although I’d seen my relatives plant them in the past, I never realized how many benefits they can have. Take a look at quick list of Why Marigolds are Important!
- Marigolds deter pests, especially nematodes which can ruin the roots of your vegetables. I learned that Marigold (Calendula) plants can produce alpha-terthienyl, which helps with nematodes that live in the soil. Plant them around tomatoes, and also eggplant and peppers in the garden.
- Marigolds are great nectar sources for butterflies! This is a win for me, since I sit outside to work often, and enjoy the birds and butterflies.
3. Marigolds have a pungent aroma and can help deter rodents from your garden.
4. Marigolds have a long history in folk medicine and as you may recognize from their name, Calendula, it is found in many herbal remedies and even skin lotions and balms. If this interests you there is plenty of information out there on the medicinal uses of Calendula. As always, be careful when relying on sources for health information on the internet, and seek reputable sources. 🙂
5. Last but not least, marigolds are beautiful! I just love the sunny colors. Even on the cloudiest, dreary days you will always have a bit of sunny, happy yellow in the garden if you plant Marigolds. They do very well in dry climates, and have the ability to keep blooming even if you’re not spending a lot of time tending to them.
Check out some of our Favorite Gardening Products:
- Rolling Garden Work Scooter.
- Save on water usage , using a Rain Barrel.
- Great Pair of Gardening Gloves.
- Fiskars Carry and Organize Bucket in Tool green
- Stainless Steel Gardening Tool set.
- Velcro Gardening Wraps to help stable some of your tall plants and flowers.
- The Vegetable Gardeners Bible has lots of helpful tips.
- We use a Gardening Wagon a lot to carry heavy stuff around and from the car to the backyard.
- A Portable Green House that you can set up in your backyard is great, especially during the frost months.
- If you don’t want to build your own Raised Gardening Bed you can buy one.
- Looking for unique gardening items? Wayfair has got you covered!
- Join our Organic Gardening Group on Facebook. <——-
Check Out Our Other Gardening Posts:
5 Ways to Improve Your Garden – See Our Latest DIY!
I am excited to start my spring garden! See How to Make a Composting Worm Bin here.
How to Make a Garden Trellis – See our latest outdoor DIY!