Most of us have seen this golden cornbread looking casserole at some point. Whether it was at a potluck or a family gathering we all remember knowing it would be gone before the last person got through the line! Those of us lucky enough to have tried it have fallen in instant culinary love with this crusty creation. This Corn Casserole is an amazingly creamy side dish that perfectly complements just about every meal. It’s great with everything from lasagna to Mexican dishes. My favorite part, my kids love it! It’s perfect for when you’re having company too.
This recipe is completely adaptable to make a little healthier too! I don’t substitute for holidays or when I’m having company, but when you make it as often as I love to, you may want to consider changing it up a little. You can substitute non-fat Greek yogurt for the sour cream, use egg whites only, and simply decrease the amount of butter you use. I usually find I need to add a little extra salt, but that’s a matter of taste. So, use caution, and add more at the table if necessary! You can also cut the recipe in half easily.
There is also a handy cheat to this recipe when you’re in a hurry or just feeling lazy. Skip the dry ingredients and use your favorite box or bag of cornbread mix. You’ll need 2 small (8oz) boxes or 1 big (15 oz) box. It’s not exact, but don’t worry, it will all be fine. When I do substitute, Fleischmann’s Simply Homemade Cornbread Mix is my favorite. (Not a plug, just my opinion) Add your other ingredients and stir. Then bake as normal. I like to bake this in my removable slow-cooker casserole pan in the oven, then I can keep it warm or rewarm it using the slow-cooker itself. This really helps when I’m trying to get everything on the table at once. One less thing I have to worry about keeping hot! You can find more of our recipes here.
- 2/3 C flour
- 1/2 C cornmeal
- 6 T sugar
- 2 T baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 T veg oil
- 2 eggs beaten, 3 egg whites for fewer calories
- 2 15oz cans whole kernel corn drained
- 2 15oz cans creamed corn
- 2 C or 16 oz sour cream, or non-fat Greek yogurt for fewer calories
- 2 sticks or 1 C melted unsalted butter, use only 1 stick for fewer calories
- Sift dry ingredient into into mixing bowl. Add all remaining ingredients. Still until mixed well. Pour into greased casserole pan. 8 x 12 or 9 x 13 work best, but you can use a deeper pan, but you will need to adjust cook time as needed. Bake at 350 for 55-60 min.