This is one of my favorite sweet potato recipes. As the weather starts to turn from Fall to Winter I start to crave a Sweet Potato Casserole. It’s a great time to make it too. They are in season and the grocery stores will sell them really cheap! It’s a great dish to bring along with you to a pot luck or party. To save time I’ve made it when I had time, put it in the fridge and then all I had to do was bake it!
- 2 1/4 pounds of sweet potatoes peel and cubed
- 1 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Put potatoes in a large pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and add the half and half, sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat with mixer until smooth.And eggs and beat well (the mixture will be thin.) Pour into a greased 13x9 baking dish.
- To prepare topping, combine flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or 2 butter knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in pecans and sprinkle over potato mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. (yields 16 servings)