Before this Turkey Sausage Kale Soup there was only Olive Garden. To explain that, I probably need to go back a little further. For some reason, I was a bit reluctant to start cooking kale. It was the new super-food, the new acai berry, or butternut squash, or whatever. With one other exception, the only dish it could possibly be good in was that soup from Olive Garden. Even though I love the sight of anything simmering in a pot on the stove, as much as I wish it were true, it’s just not in me to eat something just because someone says it’s beneficial for me, no matter how super it is. It has to taste good!
If you’re wondering about the exception- click the link below to for another recipe
With claims of kale being a “super green” it is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. High in antioxidants, helping to lower cholesterol, it’s an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin K, beta carotene, and leutin (often taken by those with macular degeneration and cataracts as a dietary supplement-this is not medical advice and is not a substitute for professional medical care.) It’s rich in minerals including calcium, and being low in calories means kale is here to stay. Like I said before, it’s still not enough for me to just eat it, but with this Turkey Sausage Kale Soup I actually get to have my kale and will eat it too!
Speaking of super foods…. I wonder about swapping the rice with butternut squash???
Turkey Sausage Kale Soup Recipe:
- 2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch of green onion, chopped
- 2 TBSP red pepper flakes
- 1 package of turkey sausage, thinly sliced
- 2 cans of chicken broth
- 1 C cooked brown rice
- 1 bunch of fresh kale, chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 TBSP Old Bay Seasoning
- Fresh basil, chopped
- 4 round bread loafs
- Pour the olive oil into your crock pot add the chopped green onions, red pepper flakes, and sliced turkey sausage while on high temperature.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, stirring as you pour it into your crockpot.
- Stir in the Old Bay seasoning allowing allof the ingredients to cook a short time before adding a small amount of salt and pepper. Taste test for the seasoning, if necessary add more.
- Lower the heat and add the cooked brown rice and kale.
- Stir to blend all of the ingredients. Continue to cook the soup in your crock pot until everything is warm and ready to be served. (Since all of the ingredients have been precooked all you are doing in the crockpot is seasoning and heating prior to being served.)
- Let’s make the bread bowls:
- Using a sharp knife, cut a circle in the top of each loaf, leaving a 1 inch border all around. Remove the top of the loaf, then hollow out the middle with a fork or your fingers. Be sure to leave a thick bread shell.
- Spoon the soup into each bread bowl and garnish with basil.