See How to Make a Breakable Heart — and Where to Find a Breakable Heart for Valentine's Day!!
These beautiful confections are SO over the top! If you haven't yet heard of Breakable Hearts, this trending new dessert is basically a chocolate (or candy coating) based hollow heart with all kinds of goodies inside.
I was able to get a professionally made chocolate heart from Sweets By Zoe, located here in the metro OKC area. We absolutely love the bright colors, the included mallet– for breaking it open– and then some chocolate covered cherries and candy for decoration.
If you're not located nearby or want to make your own, see below for easy instructions and links to purchase what you need. This would be so fun for an adult, teen, or even the kids as a Valentine's Day surprise. You can also remake these hearts for other events such as bridal showers or anniversaries.
Where to Purchase:
If you don't want to make your own, head over here to Zoe's Facebook page. Prices vary, and of course you can shop for all kinds of handmade goodies.
Even sweeter, we have a giveaway going right now and you can enter for a chance to WIN one of these packages! How fun! Don't miss out on your chance. Enter on Facebook Here.
Making Your Own Breakable Heart:
We know it may not be feasible to order your own breakable heart, or you may prefer to make your own if you're the DIY type! See directions below on how to make these fun Valentine's Day surprises.
First, you will need a heart candy mold. You can find these on Amazon in assorted shapes and sizes. I actually found one similar to the pre-made Breakable Heart from Zoe's.
It does not matter what type of mold you find, ultimately. Just make sure your process is good and your heart should turn out great. You can actually customize your heart by choosing a mold that is more your personality, if you prefer!
Pictured above is my simple heart mold from Amazon. It's made of silicone so it's slightly bendable, which makes it easier to get the hardened candy shell out of it when it's ready. You will also want to order:
- 1 bag of candy coating or chocolate melting wafers
- Breakable heart wooden mallet
- Bakery/Treat Gift Box (this large pack is linked to show item, you can also find these at Walmart or a craft store in smaller packs)
- Additional Chocolates like Ghirardelli Valentine's Day Hearts
- Valentine's Day Candy Mix– for inside your Breakable Heart
- Mini Marshmallows for around the heart
Add your melted candy coating to the inside of the mold, and let cool. The main tip I have here is, slowly add your melted candy coating and make sure to cover all areas of the inside of the mold evenly, and don't leave thin spots. If you have a portion of the heart that has barely any coating, chances are the candy coating can break or have holes when you're done! No good.
So be generous, and go over in layers if you think you need more. Your goal should be to get an even coating. See the recipe for detailed instructions below.
Allow to cool and harden completely before removing the candy coating out of the mold. This is also a key part of the process.
Filing with Goodies:
The candy heart will actually become the “top”. Meaning your goodies will go underneath the candy heart.
After you have your candy coating heart ready to go, you can then arrange everything in your gift box. Make sure to include the wooden mallet for the best part! Breaking the heart open and finding all the treats inside!
Print your DIY Breakable Heart Instructions Below!
- Candy coating or Chocolate Melting Wafers (enough to coat inside of mold)
- Candy Letters
- Mini Marshmallows
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries (optional)
- Valentine's Day Candy Mix (for inside heart)
- Melt Chocolate in small, microwave safe bowl for about 30 seconds. It needs to be thin to spread inside mold.
- Add to mold, spoon by large spoonful's into mold. Rotate mold around until the entire mold is covered on the inside surface. Allow to harden in the refrigerator for 3-5 minutes. Make sure chocolate is all the way to the top of the mold, or even over the top is fine
- After chocolate is hardened, repeat step 2. You can repeat with 3-4 or more layers of chocolate. Make sure layers of chocolate are as even as possible. Refrigerate after each layer.
- As you add more layers, the chocolate will harden faster since the previous layers are cold. Work fast to add new layers.
- Return mold to refrigerator for 30 minutes or until completely hardened. Meanwhile, you can prepare any chocolate covered strawberries or any other treats you're adding to your gift box.
- After chocolate in breakable heart mold is completed, scrape off any extra chocolate on the outside edge.
- Slowly remove chocolate from mold. Be very patient, and pull mold off carefully to avoid breaking your chocolate heart.
- Carefully set the chocolate mold aside and fill your box with your Valentine's candy mix. Invert the heart and set the heart down over candy mix inside the gift box, pushing any extra candies up and underneath the heart.
- Now that your breakable heart is finished, Melt a small amount of remaining chocolate candy coating and apply candy letters, sticking to the mold with small dots of chocolate. You can also apply melted chocolate coating to any breaks or rough spots, using a spoon.
- Fill the rest of the gift box with mini marshmallows, chocolate covered strawberries, and other treats. Add a wooden mallet to the side of the heart, and enjoy!
See links in post for the wooden mallet, gift box, and candy mold.N
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 143mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 1gSugar: 32gProtein: 2g
- The Best Halloween Candy Deals This Week
- Target REDcard – $40 off $40 Purchase When You Sign Up
- Cheryl's Halloween Cookie Sampler $12.99 Shipped + $10 Off Next Purchase!
- CVS Deals | Check Out Our List and Save!
- Top Dollar General Deals This Week!
Join Our Facebook Groups:
Cottontail Marketplace – The Queen's New Business – Handmade Crafts & More
Consumer Queen Crest Foods Deals (Oklahoma Only)
Consumer Queen Homeland Group (Oklahoma Only)
Have you joined our Facebook yet? We have over 18,000 members who share deals, recipes and lifestyle tips with each other. Click here to join and start saving with us today.
Want MORE DEALS? Check out AMAZON FACEBOOK GROUP where we post deals and codes for up to 75% off Amazon products.
Would you like to earn free gift cards? Shopkick is an app that allows you to earn ‘kicks (points)” cards just for walking in the store. You can then redeem those points to earn free gift cards. Check out the the highlighted link to learn more and start earning free gift cards today.