Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies with a cake mix just looks exactly how a Christmas cookie should! These cookies are so bright and colorful, and will be a hit on any cookie tray or in a gift basket!
Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies With Cake Mix
Crinkle cookies are one of my favorite things to bake this time of year. For one, we do a lot of holiday baking together as a family. It’s fun to set aside one or two days in December to get together and cook with my daughter. We make a LOT of cookies! These go to assemble cookie trays (for us of course) and a few for close friends and family.
Ideal for Cookie Trays and More!
With more social distancing this year and not spending as much one on one time together as usual, we are brainstorming some ways to send some cheer to our elderly family members.
A basket of baked goodies or cookie gift tray are awesome (and frugal) things you can do. Just add several varieties of cookies, muffins or salty snacks to a Christmas themed charger plate. I wrap each item individually in Saran Wrap if I’m taking the tray over to a single person or a couple, just so that the cookies stay fresh for as long as possible. You can also add 2-3 cookies to a small tin or plastic container. You can pick these up for just a couple dollars at Dollar General or Walmart during the holidays.
Being that these are cake mix cookies, they have a little more moisture than your typical from-scratch cookie recipe. They keep a day or two longer (just in my own opinion). Plus, how fun are these colors!! I think Santa might even like to see these on Christmas Eve. 🙂
Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies:
For this recipe, start with a Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix. I’ve also tried Betty Crocker mixes and those work well. You will need the full size cake mix (that makes a 9×13 size cake). Not the smaller boxes or individual cake sizes.
This is a pretty standard “cake mix cookie” recipe. Dough will be thick, so if you have difficulty stirring you can always make this recipe using a hand blender on its lowest setting, or a stand mixer with regular beater attachment.
Baking Cake Mix Cookies:
One tip I want to leave you with — if you have read this far 😉 — is to not overbake cake mix cookies!! It’s so easy to do.
The reason why is that they always look a little soft when you get them out of the oven. This is normal, and they will continue to cook on the cookie tray after they leave the heat of the oven. However, if they look like they aren’t fully cooked (still doughy), allow to cook in 1-2 minute increments until cooked throughout. Don’t leave them in the oven for long. 🙂
I always leave my cake mix cookies on the cookie tray for around 5 minutes after they are done cooking. This lets them continue to set so they don’t fall apart when I take them off the cookie tray.
Print Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies Recipe Here!
- 1 box of Red Velvet Cake Mix (full size/makes 9x13 cake)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (you can leave this out if you don't have any)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 350
2. In a large bowl , mix cake mix, eggs, vanilla and oil - do not add ingredients on back of cake mix box.
3. Cover and refrigerate for 15-20 mins (this will help make the dough easier to work with when rolling it)
4. Add powdered sugar to a small separate bowl.
5. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and dip them in the powdered sugar (coat dough balls completely)
6. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with palm of hand or the bottom of a glass.
7. Bake 9-10 minutes or until done. Cookies should look soft but not doughy.
8. Let cookies cool on cookie sheet 3-5 minutes. Cookies will continue to set as they cool.
8. Allow to cool fully on wire rack, store them in an airtight container.
You can also use coconut oil in place of oil.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 75Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 23mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
- Boneless Wings ONLY 60¢ at Wing Stop – 12 Different Flavors!
- The Best Detergent Deals This Week – As Low as FREE!
- PictSweet Frozen Veggies 25¢ at Dollar Tree!
- Bella 2 Slot Toaster (Wide Slot) Only $9.99 – (Reg. $19.99)
- Top Dollar General Deals This Week!
Have you joined our Facebook yet? We have over 19,000 members who share deals, recipes and lifestyle tips with each other. Click here to join.
Online Shopping? Check Out the Consumer Queen Holiday Gift Guides!
See the coolest gifts and must-haves here!