This classic Red Gold Lasagna Recipe is made with delicious Red Gold Tomato sauce.
I am still working on perfecting my lasagna recipe. Hopefully one day I'll get it perfect. Until them here is a basic recipe that will help you get started!
The red sauce is a perfect, tangy complement to the layers of meat and cheese.I feel like the sauce is one of the most important parts of this dish. There are a few simple ingredients that go into the red sauce, and in my opinion they all add flavor to the dish. I always make sure I have red wine on hand because it adds so much depth of flavor to any kind of tomato recipe. You can use beef broth instead if you like or omit the red wine completely.
I often see recipes calling for garlic cloves which is something I always love to add. Onions should definitely be added too, as well as dried basil and oregano leaves if desired. If you want your red sauce even more flavorful then feel free to also add crushed hot pepper flakes or ground black pepper.
However Red Gold makes Diced Tomatoes With Basil, Garlic & Oregano which is a great short cut. You won't have to spend all that time dicing up the ingredients.
This red gold classic lasagna recipe doesn't require that much work so it's a great one to make when you're in the mood for something simple but tasty!
Red Gold sent me this awesome little kit to get me cooking but you can also win some awesome prizes too.
To celebrate lasagna creativity in the kitchen, Red Gold will be hosting a Lasagna Party on Facebook. The Red Gold “Simply Fun, Simply You!” Lasagna Party Sweepstakes starts on January 15th and runs until February 5th. During this time they will be sharing new recipes, providing tips and giving away prizes! You can have a chance to win either one of 3,000 Red Gold Aprons or 3 $250 Red Gold Lasagna Kits! Make sure you enter at the Red Gold Tomatoes Facebook Page.
And here's a tip from My Royal Kitchen!
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can Red Gold® Crushed Tomatoes, or 2 (15 ounce) cans
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes With Basil, Garlic & Oregano
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage, or lean ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) box lasagna noodles, traditional, uncooked
- 1 (15 ounce) carton low fat ricotta cheese
- 3 cups sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350o F. In large mixing bowl combine water, RED GOLD® CRUSHED TOMATOES and RED GOLD® DICED TOMATOES with BASIL, GARLIC & OREGANO, salt and Italian sausage, stir to combine ingredients.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13x2 inch baking pan with 1½ cups of sauce mixture. Arrange 1/3 of noodles on top of sauce, slightly overlapped. Top with ½ of ricotta cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of sauce. Repeat layers and top with last 1/3 of noodles and the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 to 1½ hours; until noodles are cooked. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- The recipe makes 12 servings, but you could divide the recipe into two 9x9 inch baking dishes and freeze one for a wintry night supper.