Lately I’ve been hearing amazing things about quinoa, but I hadn’t tried it yet. It’s naturally gluten free, which is great because my husband has to be on a gluten free diet. I’m always looking for new things to make. So I finally broke down and tried it. I wasn’t disappointed!
I served this as a side dish to tacos. It was very easy to fix and it tasted great. I’ll be using this as a healthy substitute for white rice!
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups water or chicken stock
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- In a medium sized sauce pan place the olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook on medium high until the onions start to turn translucent. Stir constantly, they will burn quickly!
- Add in the water and quinoa and stir. Then mix in the cilantro and lime juice.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cover. Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes and then remove from heat.