This Homemade Chicken Flautas recipe might just be on your lunch or dinner menu rotation! It’s so easy and good!
Homemade Chicken Flautas vs. Taquitos
Mexican cuisine is perhaps one of my favorite meal types. It’s always my first choice when eating out. Since we are trying to really watch what we eat as well as the ingredients we use I have been trying to make what I can at home.
I LOVE Taquitos and I always thought that they were the same as Flautas, just people called them different names. Boy was I wrong lol.
Of course with anything if you ask 5 people you might get 3 different answers.
Taquitos are made with corn tortillas and corn tortillas are ultimately my favorite but I decided to give it a shot and try to make my own Homemade Chicken Flautas.
I chose chicken for this recipe since we often have extra skinless boneless chicken on hand. I try to shop the Sprouts BOGO Free sale for this, and stock up! I love the quality of their chicken and of course if you can get it around $1 per lb, which is what this final price is, then go for it! (This is an older photo but shows their chicken sale at Sprouts).
My Spin on this Recipe
I wanted to change up my meals any way, and I always use beef in Taquitos so I decided to try chicken in the Flautas. They turned out amazing and the whole family loved them. The fact that they were baked in the oven and not fried was even better.
When you are making flautas it’s very easy to change up the recipe and add just about any ingredients you want. You can serve this up with a side of Mexican rice, but if you’re wanting to cut the carbs you can serve it up with Homemade Guacamole or Black Bean Salsa. Get the recipe HERE!
Those are two of my favorites because I can use fresh ingredients from my garden. Now I didn’t make these spicy, but you can certainly add some kick to this recipe if you like. These are great to make up ahead and freeze too.
Print Your Recipe Here!
- 2 Chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup of salsa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10 tortillas
- 3/4 cup of corn, drained
- 1 med onion chopped
- 1/2 cup mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- cilantro, use according to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp of lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Shred chicken in your kitchenaid mixer
- Heat olive oil in a medium size skillet. Add garlic & onion and cook about 3 mins.
- Add corn and cook for another 2 mins.
- Add chicken, sour cream, lime juice and salsa and cook for about 3 more minutes. Remove and stir in cheese and cilantro.
- Spray (or butter ) a 9 x13 baking dish
- Warm your tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds and start filling.
- Roll tortillas up tightly and brush with melted butter.
- Bake for 15 mins or until done.