This No Lard Instant Pot Refried Beans recipe is much healthier and is so good, you will never want to buy refried beans in a can ever again. Check out our No Lard Instant Pot Refried Beans recipe below.
Why Instant Pot Refried Beans?
If you have never used an Instant Pot you are missing out. I'll admit I was a little intimidated by it at first, but I soon got the hang of it. I've written up an easy How to Use Your Instant Pot for Beginners post that should help you ease into using your new cooking tool.
One of the things I hated from store bought canned refried beans, were the ingredients.
They were full of lard and I wanted to watch my saturated fats. So I decided to try switching out my lard for coconut oil. My husband wasn't so sure on the idea and was afraid that the coconut oil would give it a weird taste.
Much to his surprise he loved it and now he prefers our homemade Instant Pot refried beans over the store bought.
So much so, that he will actually volunteer to make big batches and freeze it in our Foodsaver bags. Once you have soaked your beans and cooked them you are going to want use an Immersion blender to help blend your beans to a smooth and creamy texture.
Finally, The process roughly takes about an hour and half to make, but most of that time is spent cooking and cooling, and you can work on other tasks and chores while you wait.
When it's time to start filling your bags, I recommend getting these baggy holders. They help your bags stand up right and pull them apart for hands free cooking. We hope you enjoy the recipe below and we would love to invite you to join our Recipe group.
Want to keep this recipe in your favorites? Feel free to pin it on Pinterest! JOIN OUR RECIPE GROUP!
No Lard Instant Pot Refried Beans Recipe:
- 2 lbs dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 3 tbs Coconut Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp dry cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsps minced garlic
- 1 med onion, about 1 1/2 cups
- 4 cups chicken or beef broth, prefer chicken
- 4 cups water
- In large bowl add beans and enough water to cover! Soak for 15 mins.
- Add onion, pepper, jalapeno, oregano, garlic, cumin, coconut oil, water and broth to your Instant Pot.
- Strain beans and rinse.
- Add beans to your Instant Pot and mix well.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and set the valve to "sealing".
- Press Bean/Chili button. This should show 30 mins. of cooking time, you need to increase it to 45 mins.
- When it's done the pressure will come down naturally, usually takes about 30-40 minutes.
- Once the pressure is released, open lid and add salt to taste. I then use an Immersion Blender to blend. If beans look soupy don't worry they will thicken as they cool.
More Instant Pot Recipes Here:
Check out our post on How to Your Instant Pot for Beginners.
This Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe is so easy to make with hardly any clean up, that you will never want to make it on the stove top again.
How to make Instant Pot Mac and Cheese so easy and delicious.
I am excited to share this new Instant Pot Recipe! If you love corn on the cob but aren't crazy about heating up the kitchen to boil it on the stove, this Instant Pot Corn on the Cob recipe is for you!
If you just want to save some time in the kitchen , let the Instant Pot do the work for you with this Homemade Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.