One way a lot of folks are interested in saving money and time, is on family travel. If this is you, check out these 10 best road trip tips for kids that I've come up with!
First and foremost, plan to make several stops. When you stop for lunch make sure there’s a play area for them to play on. Make sure to have a GPS routing software that can help you plan your trip so that you make the most of your time and money.
It’s also essential that you get your vehicle checked before heading off on a long journey. When you have kids traveling with you, your car needs to be in top condition. In the event of an accident while you’re on the road, get your kids safely away from oncoming traffic, call emergency services, and get in touch with a car accident lawyer as soon as you can.
Before you hit the road, plan the route you'll be taking and estimate the driving time between stops. Factor in breaks and rest stops to keep the journey manageable for kids.
One of our favorite things to do on road trips with the kids is to have them run laps. They love it and they get some pent up energy out! While you're at it check out these road trip budgeting tips.
10 Best Road Trip Tips For Kids:
- Use suction cup shower caddies to hold supplies. This is a great place to keep crayons, snacks, and small toys within arms reach.
2. Make a travel kit binder. This idea works best for younger school-age children. This can keep them busy for hours and will also keep all those loose papers in 1 place. Click the link to get over 150 free printables!
3. Make individual travel snack boxes using empty baby wipe containers. A great way to keep the snacks in 1 place and will also (hopefully!) keep them from fighting over snacks! Avoid too much sugar, as it can lead to energy spikes and crashes.
4. Keep the kids entertained with activities such as audiobooks, podcasts, music, or their favorite movies. Tablets or portable gaming devices can be handy, but don't forget to balance screen time with other activities. Make a matching pole for each child. This is super cheap and super easy to put together and great for younger kids! If they don't know their letters yet just use shapes instead.
5. Put together a portable lego kit. Not only will this keep them busy, it will also make them think and use their brains (and they won't even know it!!). Click the link to print free activity cards.
6. Bring a few packages of window gel clings. The kids will have a blast sticking them on the windows and taking them off again and you won't have to worry about a sticky mess being left behind! Window markers would also be a hit!
7. Download some fun, new apps on the phones/tablets. They will more than likely want to get on their electronics at some point during the trip and this way they'll have something new to keep them occupied for awhile.
8. Give each kid a cookie sheet activity tray. These will come in handy for putting puzzles together, coloring, playing games, reading, eating lunch, etc!
9. Go to your local library and check out a few books on CD (and maybe even a few movies if you have a portable DVD player). When you just need some quiet, pop one in and enjoy the silence while everyone listens.
10. Engage in traditional road trip games like “I Spy,” “20 Questions,” or the license plate game to add some fun and interaction during the journey. Don't let traveling with kids worry you! Just make sure you take time to prepare by using some of the tips in this post. What are some of your favorite tips for traveling with kids?
Remember, the key to a successful road trip with kids is to keep them engaged, comfortable, and safe. With a little planning and creativity, you can turn the journey into an exciting and enjoyable family adventure with these road trip tips for kids.
Don't Miss This:
More Fun Posts for Kids
- Fun Things for Kids to Do to Build Confidence
- How to Keep Kids Safe when Playing Online Free Games
- Toilet Paper Roll Ladybug Craft
- Toilet Paper Roll Butterfly Craft
- FREE Apps For Kids – Educational to Just Plain Fun!
- Free Kids Scavenger Hunt Printable
- Free Printable License Plate Game : Road Trip Games in the Car
- Pretend Play for Kids : Free Printable Travel Set
Join Our Facebook Groups
- Consumer Queen Crest Foods Deals
- Consumer Queen Homeland Group
- ConsumerQueen Brown Box Shoppers, Glitches and Free stuff!
- Frugal Living Tips and Tricks That Work
- Easy Slow Cooker Recipes – Dump and Go Crockpot Meals
- Easy Delicious Recipes- Just Like Grandma Used to Make
- Air Fryer Recipes – Easy and Delicious
- Instant Pot Community – Instant Pot for Beginners
- CQ Oklahoma Natural & Organic Support Group
- Consumer Queen Black Friday Deals & Hot Online Deals & Coupon Codes!
- Homesteading for Beginners- Off the Grid, Canning, Gardening & more!
- Explore Oklahoma – Oklahoma Day Trips, Oklahoma Restaurants & Things to Do
- Roaming My Planet Travel Fan Page
- Shop Local Oklahoma