Easy Grilled Blueberry Pie is perfect for summer! See this out of the box way to bake a pie, without heating up the kitchen!
Easy Grilled Blueberry Pie
Summer heat means that we turn the oven on as little as possible but it does not mean that we have to miss out on our favorite desserts!
Pies are an all-American favorite for summer. They travel well, are great for picnics since they stay fresh for hours, and are just SO nostalgic! We always have a selection of pies and cobblers on the dessert table on July 4th!
My mom came across the idea for grilled pies and made an Easy Grilled Blueberry Pie for us today. It was delicious and I love that it’s so easy and doesn’t heat up the kitchen!
I don’t know what’s worse than a crazy hot kitchen in the summer!
We had a Blueberry Pie this time but this idea would work for just about any pie recipe. A strawberry pie, peach pie, cherry pie, apple pie or rhubarb pie would be fantastic!
Using Blueberries for Blueberry Pie:
I have had many questions from other moms over the years about Blueberry Desserts — I am not an expert I’ve just baked desserts and cooked for so long I end up giving advice sometimes! LOL!
A common question is, “I’ve got all these blueberries at home because I bought a bunch / someone gave them to us…Can I just bake a pie??”
The short answer is yes. The longer answer would be, you need to be careful not to let the pie become too tart. Blueberries themselves are not the sweetest berries, naturally. You get a LOT of tartness if you don’t properly sugar them and balance them with other flavors in the pie. I’ve tried hand-pies with blueberry compote that were not sweetened well. Not very tasty!!
So, yes use those blueberries up! But take care to let them absorb some sweetness from the rest of your dessert. 🙂
Amazon Must Haves for Pies:
Here are a few fun and helpful Pie gadgets we love!
- Cast Iron Pie Pan
- OXO Glass Pie Plate with Lid
- Ceramic Pie Crust Weights
- Pie Carrier
- Pie Server
- Silicone Basting Brush for Pastries and More – 2 pk
- Pie Crust Protector for Oven
- Large Silicone Pastry Mat with Measurements
- Your favorite 2-pie crust recipe, my favorite is Pioneer Woman's recipe!
- 4 cup fresh Blueberries
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Lemon Peel, Grated
- Dash of Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- Preheat grill to medium/high heat. Try to keep it around 400 degrees.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with your uncooked pie crust.
- Combine the blueberries, sugar, flour, lemon peel, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a large bowl. Pour into your pie crust. Sprinkle with 1-2 tsp. of lemon juice and dot with 1 Tblsp. of butter. Place the 2nd pie crust on top and seal the edges. Make a few cuts in the pie crust to allow venting.
- Place the cake pan upside down on the grill then place your pie on top of the cake pan. Cover the grill and cook 20-25 minutes or until the crust is cooked and the filling is bubbly.
- Remove from grill and cool 10 minutes before serving.
IMPORTANT: Use a cake pan that is 2-inches high, to elevate pie off grill. For safety reasons, do not leave glass pie pan directly on grill! You can also use a metal pie pan if you aren't sure your grill heats evenly.
More Pie Recipes To Try:
Hope you enjoyed this pie recipe! If you aren’t a fan of blueberries, definitely try this same pie recipe with your favorite berry or fruit. Even strawberry-rhubarb pie would be great on the grill!
As long as you aren’t busy using the grill for dinner, of course. 😉
[amazon_link asins=’B001BCNTTU,B07DRG8DTZ,B002UNMZNU,B0000ULZX6,B07DVN9FTJ,B01HDKCFAC,B0732PFZNW,B0091QO3RK,B00004S1BT’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’stealsandde08-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’ad974ff3-7977-4dec-a1df-3871d185a4ef’]
- Creativebug for Only $1 – Get 3 Months Online Crafts Classes
- Crayola Crafts at Dollar Tree
- Win a $100 eGift Card From Banana Republic – 5 Winners #GetActiveWithBRFactory
- Garnier Whole Blends ONLY 42¢ at Walgreens – No Rewards Involved
- Allure Beauty Box $23 Shipped (Valued at Over $200!)