If you’re a homesteader who wants to get creative with alternative natural health remedies, then homemade Vicks vapor shower disks are the perfect project for you. Not only can these discs help soothe your congestion and upper respiratory ailments, but they’re also easy to make at home with everyday ingredients that most of us already have in our pantry or kitchen cabinets. Plus, it’s a fun project to whip up on the weekend—especially if you invite friends over who want to learn more about alternative medicine! Keep reading and we’ll walk through exactly how to make your own homemade Vicks Vapor Shower Disks.
Attention DIYers! This recipe for Homemade “Vicks” Shower Discs is perfect for this winter. These shower discs have ingredients right from your pantry, and also call for a few essential oils to promote comfort and calm.
How to Use
To use, simply drop in the bottom of the shower when needed and allow the vapors to steam out.
It's important to note, they can just sit and steam away, they do not need to come into contact with skin at all.
Essential Oil Ingredients
If you are unfamiliar with essential oils, we will be happy to introduce you to them. Click here to learn more and purchase Young Living oils for this recipe.
The essential oils are definitely *not* something we would recommend substituting here in this recipe, since they provide the vapor necessary for allowing these to work!
How to Make:
The other needed item for these shower discs is a silicone baking mold. This recipe can be whipped up in the kitchen, and the discs do need to go into the oven. A silicone mold is perfect to pop each disc out into a nice container…and also allows you to get creative with fun shapes, like the flowers pictured above! 🙂
Just throw into a pretty glass dish or mason jar and these can be displayed on the counter or shelf. If you need to purchase a silicone mold, Amazon has several to choose from here.
You can adjust the size of your shower discs based upon the silicone mold you decide to use for the recipe.
Not a Medicine:
As with any DIY, these Shower Discs do NOT substitute for any medicine. And, this post is purely for sharing a natural DIY and can not be substituted for any medical advice. See your healthcare provider! 🙂
See this Easy Recipe Here:
- In a small bowl mix baking soda and water slowly until it becomes just a tad more liquid than a paste.
- Add Cornstarch
- Pour into desired silicone molds. We prefer silicone molds since it's easier to remove the discs without breaking them.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, allow to cool and remove from pan.
- Add 5 drops of Lavender, Peppermint and Eucalyptus onto each disc and allow the oils to soak in.
- Store in plastic container, mason jar or glass container.
- To use simply drop disc into bottom of shower and allow vapors to steam out for desired length of time.
Don't forget to download the ConsumerQueen.com Savings Toolbar.
More From Consumer Queen:
- Stocking Stuffers $3.99 at Aldi!
- Aldi Deals | LEGO Sets $8.99!
- Walgreens Deals | Latest Offers & Rewards
- Dollar General 3-Day Sale!
- Discount Gift Cards at Dollar General This Week!
Check Out More of Our Natural Homemade Products
- Homemade Non Toxic Laundry Detergent
- Instant Pot Elderberry Syrup Recipe
- Homemade Dishwashing Detergent
- Toothpaste Hack for Bathroom Organization: Keep it Neat and Clean
- Homemade Laundry Scent Boosters
- 10 Ways To Clean With Baking Soda
- Homemade Face Mask Sprays
- Homemade Bathtub Cleaner
- DIY Car Air Freshener
- Make Your Own Streak Free Glass Cleaner
- 5 Easy Homemade Household Cleaners
- DIY Cleaning Wipes
- DIY Dry Shampoo With Essential Oils