Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros (is it HEROS or JI-ROS?) are ideal for busy families, ones with no time to cook, ones with picky eaters, or for those who don’t especially like to cook. If you meet any of those criteria, read on.
If not, we can’t be friends anymore. (It’s like you don’t even KNOW me!) HA! Just Kidding. Check out this Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros Recipe below. We’ve even included our fresh Homemade Tzatziki sauce to go with it. You should also try our Easy Chicken Fried Rice Recipe and Homemade Tomatillo Sauce. If you’re just a big fan of Greek food then you might also like Dakos.
This recipe was submitted by Heidi Boortz who runs a Facebook group for healthy meals called Healthy Freezer Meals.
There are some nights when heading to your favorite Greek restaurant just isn’t feasible. There are even nights when trying to make a homemade meal for your family just doesn’t seem possible.
For example, there are often nights that, because of sports, I don’t get home until well after 8pm. I’m too tired and frankly, to un-enamored by then, to be bothered with making even the simplest of meals.
But that’s where my trusty slow cooker comes into play! While I’m out doing some adulting, it’s at home, sitting quietly on the counter, making the house smell great and creating a fabulous meal.
And all I had to do to get it ready is throw a bunch of stuff in the slow cooker and turn it on. If you have 5 minutes you can make this Chicken Gyros Recipe. (Everybody’s got time for that, right?!)
The best part? It can be cooked immediately OR frozen! If you’re making one for tonight, make two, assembly line style, one for the slow cooker and one for the freezer!
The chicken comes out so tender and juicy it practically shreds itself. Toss it on some whole grain pitas or flatbreads, chuck a dollop of Tzatziki sauce on it, and finish it off with some tomatoes and cucumbers.
Then go straight to basking in the Oooohs and Aaaahs as your family showers you with praise for this fantastic Chicken Gyros Recipe Meal..
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 T. bottled minced garlic
- 1/4 c. lemon juice
- 1 c. frozen diced onion
- 1/4 c. water
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 t. oregano
- 1 t. lemon zest
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1 1/2 c. commercial Tzatziki Sauce, with no sugar listed in ingredients
- 8 whole wheat greek pita bread, pocketless pita (with no high fructose corn syrup)
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/4 c. fresh dill, chopped, optional
1. To freeze, combine first 9 ingredients (chicken through pepper) in a large zip top plastic bag. Label and freeze.
2. To cook after freezing, remove frozen meal from bag and place directly in slow cooker (no thawing needed!). Cook on low 8 hours or on high 6 hours. Shred chicken. Serve in warmed pitas with Tzatziki sauce, cucumbers, and tomatoes. Top with chopped fresh dill, if desired.
3. To cook immediately, combine first 9 ingredients in a slow cooker (chicken through pepper). Stir well. Cook on low 6 hours or on high 4 hours. Shred chicken. Serve in warmed pitas, topped with Tzatziki, cucumbers, and tomatoes. Top with chopped fresh dill, if desired. 8 servings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 883Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 236mgCarbohydrates: 147gFiber: 25gSugar: 6gProtein: 59g
Calorie may not always be accurate, please always check yourself as well.
If you prefer to make your own Homemade Tzatziki sauce that is super easy, then we have provided an easy recipe below. This amazing sauce uses fresh herbs and makes about 2 1/2 cups. If you are feeding a bigger crowd you can always double the batch.
- 1 ½ cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbps chopped fresh mint or dill (you can add both)
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tbps extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups grated cucumber
- 1 tbps lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic (med sized), pressed or minced
- Remove moisture from cucumber by patting them dry with a paper towel. You can also squeeze access moisture out with your hands over the sink and then pat dry if you cucumber has a lot of water.
- Add lemon juice, yogurt, garlic, olive oil, herbs and salt to a medium size bowl and mix it up till blended well.
- Chill for at least 30 mins or serve immediately. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
Yield:2 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 243Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 650mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 19g
The Nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
- Suave Lotion 83¢ at Walmart!
- Unadvertised Homeland & Affiliate Deals This Week!
- Home Depot $250 eGift Card – Enter to Win #SaveAtHomeDepot
- Healthy U TV 99¢ for a Year!
- Crest Dental Care FREE + Profit at Walgreens
Cottontail Marketplace – The Queen’s New Business – Handmade Crafts & More
Consumer Queen Crest Foods Deals (Oklahoma Only)
Consumer Queen Homeland Group (Oklahoma Only)