My son loves Lasagna but my daughter doesn’t so this is a dish that I try to make on a night when my daughter is working. I love being able to know exactly what ingredients are in my food and while my struggle to get my family to switch over to organic hasn’t been an easy road but I think I won them over on this Homemade Organic Lasagna recipe. I have also been working on bringing my family back to the dinner table to eat together so I decided to go all out and buy some organic bread from Aldi and pair with some Italian olive oil and balsamic vinegar for a dipping sauce.
When we sat down for dinner , we said our prayers and everyone began to dig in. I could hear hmmm, yum, this is good coming from the table and I just started giggling. I asked both my husband and my son, “So I assume you all like it right?” , “yes ma’am they said. I said “GOOD, cause it’s all ORGANIC!”. My husband quickly said are you serious? This is organic? and there ya have it! Another SCORE for mom! They actually told me to put it on the list to make again.
Now if you don’t think you can afford organic, you obviously haven’t been following my blog very long lol. All the ingredients I bought were with coupons or an awesome bogo sale. Check out our Organic Printable Coupons or Organic & Natural Living section.
Now if you are still not keen on organic just simply substitute all of the ingredients listed for non organic.
Saving on Organic Ingredients:
Grass Fed Ground Beef – $6.99 lb at Aldi’s (cheapest I have found, everyone else is around $8.99)
Simply Balanced Organic Whole Wheat Lasagna – Buy 4 get 1 free at Target plus 5% off with Target Cartwheel and another 5% off using my Target red card.
Organic Valley Shredded Cheese – Used $1/2 Printable coupon
Simply Organic Garlic Powder and Italian Seasoning – Used $1/2 printable coupon
These are just a few examples of my savings. Now, do I only buy organics 100% of the time? NO. I do what I can on my family’s budget and I haven’t cut out everything my family loves but we are making huge strides and I can feel good when I can make a meal like this that is good for them and it didn’t cost me to much more. Read my post called The Natural Food vs. Junk Food Fight.
- 1 pkg. Simply Balanced Organic Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles (oven ready)
- 2-3 cans of Muir Glen Tomato Sauce ( depending how much you like)
- 1lb of Grass Fed Hamburger Meat
- Simply Organic Garlic Powder
- Simply Organic Italian Seasoning
- Organic Valley Ricotta Cheese
- Organic Valley Shredded Mozzarella ( 1-2 bags depending on how much cheese and how many layers of noodles you are adding)
- Organic Valley Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- Olive oil
- Cook hamburger meat with a ½ tsp of Italian seasoning.
- Add tomato sauce to meat with a 1-2tsp of Italian seasoning to taste
- Heat well for about 3 mins.
- Heat oven to 375
- Spray lasagna dish with olive oil
- Combine 2 eggs, ricotta cheese, and 2 cups of mozzarella and parmesan cheese in a bowl and mix well.
- Spread a thin layer of ricotta cheese over each noodle ( I did not use the whole pkg of noodles)
- Add layer of noodles
- Add Layer of meat sauce
- Add layer of mozzarella & parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle a little Garlic powder over layer to taste.
- Repeat layering steps 3-4 times.
- Cover with foil and bake for 50-60 mins.