Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros (is it HEROS or JI-ROS?) are ideal for busy families, ones with no time to cook, ones with picky eaters, or for those who don’t especially like to cook. If you meet any of those criteria, read on. If not, we can’t be friends anymore. (It’s like you don’t even KNOW me!) HA! Just Kidding.
This recipe was submitted by Heidi Boortz who runs a Facebook group for healthy meals called Healthy Freezer Meals.
For example, there are often nights that, because of sports, I don’t get home until well after 8pm. I’m too tired and frankly, to un-enamored by then, to be bothered with making even the simplest of meals.
But that’s where my trusty slow cooker comes into play! While I’m out doing some adulting, it’s at home, sitting quietly on the counter, making the house smell great and creating a fabulous meal.
And all I had to do to get it ready is throw a bunch of stuff in the slow cooker and turn it on. If you have 5 minutes you can make this meal. (Everybody got time for that, right?!)
The best part? It can be cooked immediately OR frozen! If you’re making one for tonight, make two–assembly line style– one for the slow cooker and one for the freezer!
The chicken comes out so tender and juicy it practically shreds itself. Toss it on some whole grain pitas or flatbreads, chuck a dollop of Tzatziki sauce on it, and finish it off with some tomatoes and cucumbers.
Then go straight to basking in the Oooohs and Aaaahs as your family showers you with praise for this fantastic meal.
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 T. bottled minced garlic
- 1/4 c. lemon juice
- 1 c. frozen diced onion
- 1/4 c. water
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 t. oregano
- 1 t. lemon zest
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1 1/2 c. commercial Tzatziki Sauce, with no sugar listed in ingredients
- 8 whole wheat greek pita bread, pocketless pita (with no high fructose corn syrup)
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/4 c. fresh dill, chopped, optional
- To freeze, combine first 9 ingredients (chicken through pepper) in a large zip top plastic bag. Label and freeze.
- To cook after freezing, remove frozen meal from bag and place directly in slow cooker (no thawing needed!). Cook on low 8 hours or on high 6 hours. Shred chicken. Serve in warmed pitas with Tzatziki sauce, cucumbers, and tomatoes. Top with chopped fresh dill, if desired.
- To cook immediately, combine first 9 ingredients in a slow cooker (chicken through pepper). Stir well. Cook on low 6 hours or on high 4 hours. Shred chicken. Serve in warmed pitas, topped with Tzatziki, cucumbers, and tomatoes. Top with chopped fresh dill, if desired. 8 servings.