See this Upside Down German Chocolate Cake- a fun twist on the traditional cake mix recipe!
Upside Down German Chocolate Cake
I grew up eating a lot of German Chocolate Cake, which is why it’s one of my favorites now, too. Honestly, for me, the best thing about this cake is the delicious coconut pecan frosting. I could eat it by the spoon-full!
This recipe is a twist on the traditional cake recipe with the coconut icing. Instead of the frosting being on top, it’s on the bottom, which is why it’s called Upside Down German Chocolate Cake. The coconut, pecans and chocolate chips on the bottom leave the cake moist and gooey and delicious! There’s also a great cream cheese mixture swirled in the cake which adds an extra amount of yumminess!
I made this dessert tonight for our monthly ladies meeting at church and I came home with an empty pan! If you like the traditional cake recipe, I’m sure you’ll love this recipe!
Print your recipe here!
- 1 box German Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1/3 c. oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 c. water
- 2/3 c. shredded coconut
- 2/3 c. chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. chopped pecans
- 1/2 c. butter
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 lb. powdered sugar, 3 & 3/4 c.
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray 9x13 baking pan with baking spray.
- Sprinkle the coconut, chocolate chips and pecans on the bottom of your baking pan.
- Dump cake mix in a mixer and add the oil, water and eggs. Mix on low until well blended.
- Pour cake mix on top of the coconut, chocolate chips and pecans.
- Melt the butter and cream cheese in a small sauce pan. Use a whisk to get the cream cheese smooth. This will take several minutes.
- Using your mixer blend the cream cheese mix and the powdered sugar together. Mix until smooth.
- Pour over the cake mix then use a knife to make swirls.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until the cake no longer jiggles when you shake the pan. The toothpick test will not work because the bottom of the cake is gooey.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- Hallmark Greetings Cards 65¢ at Walmart!
- T-Mobile & Sprint Tuesday: $2 Dunkin’ Card, 25% Off Jack in the Box + More
- Boneless Wings ONLY 70¢ at WingStop – 12 Different Flavors!
- Softsoap Hand Soap 75¢ This Week at CVS
- The Big One 12 Piece Towel Set $29.74! *EXPIRED*
Cottontail Marketplace – The Queen’s New Business – Handmade Crafts & More
Consumer Queen Crest Foods Deals (Oklahoma Only)
Consumer Queen Homeland Group (Oklahoma Only)