Instant Pot Crack Chicken Chili has all of your favorite flavors, including ranch and cream cheese! See this easy, family friendly main dish!
Instant Pot Crack Chicken Chili
I love just about every flavor and variety of chili. If you’re not a fan of traditional white bean chicken chili, this one offers a lot more flavor and definitely kicks it up a notch. It’s one you need to try!
Of course there’s always the debate- is chicken chili really a chili? It’s not usually lined up with all of the other chili recipes in a cookoff! Well, this recipe can hold it’s own. It has so many spices, it will rival your traditional chili for flavor. Some of the spices you will need for this recipe include:
It also calls for bacon, green chilis, corn, tomatoes, cream cheese, and of course regular cheese! There are so many layers of flavor.
I honestly love the “crack chicken” recipes all over the internet right now. If you’re not familiar with it, typically it’s a flavor combination of ranch and other spices, along with cream cheese and cheddar. Together they are irresistible and add so much flavor to chicken. We linked Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning, but you can also make your own DIY Ranch Seasoning Mix with this recipe.
How to Make:
Add most of your ingredients to your Instant Pot. You can use frozen or thawed chicken breast for this recipe. I prefer to use thawed chicken just because it’s easier to trim the fat off the chicken prior to cooking. Set the Instant Pot for 15 minutes on pressure cook, or 20 minutes for frozen chicken.
Allow to cook and do a manual pressure release as soon as the cooking time is completed. Since the chili contains a starch — the beans– we don’t want to let it naturally depressurize. This can overcook the beans.
Next you will shred your chicken. I always have a cutting board set right beside the Instant Pot and shred with two forks. The instant pot is very hot and it’s difficult to shred the chicken. It’s worth it to me to wash a cutting board in order to prevent burning my hands! You can leave the rest of the chili in the Instant Pot.
While you’re shredding your chicken, set the pot to Sauté Mode and allow to heat up. The chili should start bubbling quickly since it’s already hot. Turn the Instant Pot off Sauté as soon as the chili is heated throughout.
You can return your chicken, and slowly add your softened cream cheese. Mix in cheddar cheese just before serving.
Troubleshooting Recipes with Cream Cheese:
Sometimes we get comments on recipes that reference “curdling” of cream cheese. Yes, this can happen! In general you don’t want to add cold cream cheese to a boiling hot recipe. The cream cheese will heat up, but by the time the center is melted, much of it will have curdled. This leaves not-so-tasty looking white flecks throughout your recipe. And yup– they are there to stay! Here are a few hacks that can keep this from happening.
- Cream cheese must always be softened, or close to room temperature before mixing into a recipe.
- Slice cream cheese block into sections, about 8 or 10 for the full 8 oz block. This can help the cheese melt evenly, instead of the center staying cold while the edges are too hot.
- Don’t add to a boiling pot. Allow the temperature of the chili (or any recipe) to come down a few degrees before adding dairy products. Extreme temperature differences can cause curdling.
- Don’t leave your pot cooking for hours. This is a common mistake. Even with recipes like Rotel cheese, if you leave the heat on too long- you get a curdled mess. Reduce to “warm” or lowest setting for food safety. Do not leave hot food out all day for food safety reasons.
I hope you get a chance to make this Crack Chicken Chili. It’s great with a slice of French bread, cornbread or cornbread muffins, or just on it’s own with some Fritos chips! Enjoy!
Print Your Recipe Here:
- 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, trim fat
- 15 ounce can black beans, canned or cooked, drained
- 15 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles drained
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 ounce packet ranch seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- (1) 8 ounce package cream cheese cubed and softened to room temperature
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 1 Tablespoon cold water to thicken chili (optional)
Add to your instant pot your chicken breast, black beans, corn, canned tomatoes, green
chili, Bacon, ranch seasoning, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, salt, pepper, and garlic
Pour in your chicken broth.
Close the lid on your instant pot and close the ceiling valve by pushing the valve away
from you. Select pressure cook for 15 minutes.
Once your instant pot has finished cooking, do a quick release by bringing the valve
toward you to release all the pressure.
Remove the chicken breast from the instant pot to a cutting board. Set aside.
Select cancel on your instant pot, and then select sauté mode.
While your instant pot is heating up to sauté mode, shred your chicken breasts. One
shredded, add to your pot.
Add your cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Mix well until completely melted.
If you desire a thicker chili, you can mix together the cornstarch and water in a separate
small bowl to create a slurry. Once mix together, add to your pot and mix with the rest of
Transfer to your serving bowl and top with your favorite toppings! We like to use sour
cream, crushed up tortilla chips, more cheese, more bacon bits, or jalapeño slices! Enjoy!
If using frozen chicken, increase Instant Pot cooking time to 20 minutes, instead of 15.
Cooking time above reflects pressurizing time for Instant Pot (about 10 minutes).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 581Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 1997mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 9gSugar: 10gProtein: 36g
- FREE Mtn Dew Rise Energy Drink!
- Nivea Breathable Body Lotion 48¢!
- Bella 4 Slice Toaster $39.99 Shipped!
- FREE 3 Pack of Kindness Greetings Cards From Hallmark!
- Top 10 Walgreens Deals Starting Sunday (October 17th)
Join Our Facebook Groups:
Be sure and join all of our Facebook groups to find more deals that aren’t posted on the blog and often posted by our readers!
Cottontail Marketplace – The Queen’s New Business – Handmade Crafts & More
Consumer Queen Crest Foods Deals (Oklahoma Only)
Consumer Queen Homeland Group (Oklahoma Only)